Greta Foster, Exec.Secretary
(757)881-5061, Option 9, x.11109
Employment at NNPS: Job Postings
Position is responsible for operating a school bus and transporting school-age children and other authorized personnel safely and efficiently over specified routes to and from schools and various activities. Position conducts per-trip inspections; observes safety regulations and policies; enforces student discipline on the bus; and performs related work.
Must possess a high school diploma (GED) or any equivalent combination of education or experience that would provide the noted knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess a valid commercial driver’s license to operate a school bus or must acquire one prior to the completion of the division’s classroom training course. Must possess basic Red Cross first aid and CPR certification or must acquire such prior to the completion of the division’s training course. Must possess an excellent driving record in compliance with division standards, excellent driving skills, and must successfully complete the school division’s bus driver training course. Must possess a good knowledge of procedures and federal/state laws governing the safe operation of a school bus prior to the completion of the division’s training course. Must possess knowledge of, or the ability to accurately and quickly learn, local street and road system. Must possess knowledge of, or the ability to accurately and quickly learn, how to properly secure a wheelchair, car seat, and other restraining devices on a school bus. Must possess the ability to maintain student discipline and ensure that student behavior is not a distraction to safe driving. Must possess the ability to recognize and report any unsafe act or condition. Must remain in compliance with state/division regulations regarding the use of controlled substances and alcohol as applied to school bus drivers. Must meet eh mandated physical and mental requirement established by the US Department of Transportation—the school division is not permitted to employ individuals that do no meet these standards. Must be capable of working independently and possess the ability to understand and follow through on oral and written instructions. Must possess the ability to interact with students, parents, and faculty in a positive and proper manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check with the dispatcher or area transportation supervisor for any changes in normal duties or new student passengers.
- Ensures that the bus can be operated sagely before driving and conducts pre-trip safety inspections as required by federal and state laws to include observing visual defects and checking operating systems to include brakes, horn, lights, emergency flashers, extended stop arms, and door-opening devices.
- Operates the vehicle safely over an assigned route, picking up and delivering only authorized students at assigned stops, and watches to ensure that no one hurrying for the bus is left behind.
- Keeps assigned time schedules, which may require driving during pre-day light and dusk periods, and makes every effort to be on time while ensuring safety.
- Obeys all traffic laws and transportation practices as outlined in the CDL manual, Bus Driver Handbook, School Board policy, and local ordinances.
- Observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses and keeps all emergency exits clear of obstructions.
- Secures wheelchairs, car seats, and other restraining devices on the bus as needed.
- Maintains student discipline on the bus and enforces rules governing student conduct.
- Reports undisciplined student to the proper authority and compiles written reports as requested in accordance with bus driver handbook and the Student’s Rights and Responsibility Handbook.
- Conducts semi-annual bus evacuation drills as required by the Department of Education and implements evacuations as required in an emergency to include safely exiting from the rear of the bus.
- Reports all accidents, immediately, requesting police or ambulance service as needed; assists injured persons until service arrive; and completes required accident reports.
- Notifies the proper authority in cases of mechanical failure, safety deficiencies, when off schedule, or other incidents.
- Regulates heating, cooling and ventilating equipment provided on the bus for the comfort of passengers.
- Checks the bus upon arrival at school and at the end of the route after departure of children for any lost articles and to ensure that no one has been left on board.
- Drives students and teachers on field trips, extracurricular activities, and other special events.
- Exercises responsible leadership and appropriate behavior when on out-of-division school trips.
- Returns the bus to the assigned bus lot, performs a final inspection, and secures the bus according to procedures.
- Participates in all required training.
- Submits to drug testing when required.
Minimum Salary: $11.36, Grade 16, 183 Days (10 months)
Application Procedure: Interested persons who meet the minimum qualifications should apply online at https://jobs.sbo.nn.k12.va.us. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need assistance with the ONLINE application process, please contact Human Resources directly at (757) 881-5061.
The school division reserves the right to revise, delete, or add provisions to the Job Summary,
Essential Duties, Job Specifications, Knowledge Required, Working Conditions, and any other provision of the postings
for positions, should the school division decide to re-advertise positions.
The Newport News School Division does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, creed, marital status, age or disability in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and ADA regulations. Stephanie Hautz, HR Supervisor, Human Resources, Newport News Public Schools, at 12507 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA 23606, (757-881-5061), is responsible for coordinating the division's efforts to meet its obligations under Section 504, Title IX, the ADA, and their implementing regulations.