Research Authorization Requests
Newport News Public Schools (NNPS) encourages the pursuit of research by graduate students and other professionally and technically qualified individuals and research organizations which holds the potential for benefits to the instructional program and the professional growth of division personnel.
The following factors are used in determining whether the school system can cooperate in a research proposal:
- The technical soundness of the research design;
- The appropriateness of the research for a public school setting;
- The availability of research sites and subjects; and
- The need for the division to protect the personal and legal rights of students, parents, and staff.
The following categories of research will be accepted for screening and evaluation:
- Proposals originating within NNPS offices, departments, and/or schools;
- Proposals from individuals or organizations independent of NNPS; and
- Proposals for master's thesis and doctoral dissertations.
* Research activities involving students may not be conducted from April 15 through September 30, unless specifically requested and approved by the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, or Chief Academic Officer.
Click the appropriate application link below to access the desired Research Authorization Request Application.
For additional questions or support, please contact Joseph Ellis, Research Authorization Committee Chair, (757) 283-7850 x.10524.