Greta Foster, Exec.Secretary
(757)881-5061, Option 9, x.11109
Employment at NNPS: Job Postings
November 1, 2011
Job Summary: Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment to develop competencies in mathematical skills and an understanding of the structure of mathematics; to motivate each pupil to apply mathematical understanding and skills in the solution of practical problems; to prepare each student to meet the Virginia SOL standards.
Minimum Qualifications: Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field and meet the Virginia Department of Education licensure eligibility requirements to teach mathematics. Must be eligible for, or in possession or an appropriate Virginia teaching license. Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, & the public.
Reports to: Principal
- Teaches content and skills in mathematics utilizing curriculum designated by Newport News Public Schools and other appropriate learning activities.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Newport News Public Schools.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course / SOL standards.
- Adapts the curriculum to provide individual, small group, or remedial instruction to meet the needs of the individual student and the needs of identified subgroups of students.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Evaluates each student’s progress meeting the course standards in mathematical knowledge and skills.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve learning, health and attitude problems.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Supervise students in assigned out-of-class activities during the working day.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTA, student clubs and after-school activities.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
Target Date of Employment: As soon as possible.
Salary: Based on Teacher Scale and experience.
Application Procedure: Interested persons who meet the minimum qualifications should apply online at https://nnps.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities/default.aspx.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need assistance with the ONLINE application process, please contact Human Resources directly at (757) 881-5061.
The school division reserves the right to revise, delete, or add provisions to the Job Summary,
Essential Duties, Job Specifications, Knowledge Required, Working Conditions, and any other provision of the postings
for positions, should the school division decide to re-advertise positions.
The Newport News School Division does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, creed, marital status, age or disability in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and ADA regulations. Stephanie Hautz, HR Supervisor, Human Resources, Newport News Public Schools, at 12507 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA 23606, (757-881-5061), is responsible for coordinating the division's efforts to meet its obligations under Section 504, Title IX, the ADA, and their implementing regulations.